Sunday, August 5, 2012

Happy 101st Birthday, Miss Lucille Ball!

6 AUGUST 2012

It's 12am Singapore time, and I'll like to wish my idol, my companion, my loveliest woman a happy birthday!
Today marks the 101st year since a great woman was brought into this world. I remember vividly how I've written a post on her death anniversary, which seems like yesterday. In just a blink of an eye, 26 April jumped to 6 August, indicating that Lucy's physical traces are further and further away from us.

However, this also means that my affair with her has grown! In fact, our first anniversary will be arriving mid August- that's when my American Pluralism instructor introduced me to this wonderful comedian and actress.

Lucille's comedic talent, determination and optimism have been instrumental in helping me cope with my life. In all honesty, my life is tumultuous and full of myriads of moments where I inevitably face terrible misfortunes. Sometimes, I cave into periods of self-pitying, but since Miss Lucille Ball became my role model, I find these moments becoming fleeting and brief. Before and after a battle, I would habitually watch an episode of I Love Lucy, or if time allows, I would watch an old black and white movie of hers. Miraculously, I would find my mood improving tenfold!

Just like how Lucy looked up to Carole Lombard as her inspiration, I do look up to Lucy whenever I face problems. Even dead for 23 years, Lucy never failed to help me sharpen my perspectives- on love, on life, on anything under the sun. I plan to be visiting her grave in Jamestown, New York, with my best friend and closest friends in 2014, and I wish with all my heart that this dream will come true.

Lucy was a complicated person when alive. I can really relate to her in this way because people around me call me Miss Complicated. Most of the time, I think and do things where outsiders would not understand, nor do they care to, and only those loved ones who are really emotionally synchronized with me will really know the real me, stripped of all facades and layers. I hate to have to explain myself to others, because I will feel awfully exposed, vulnerable and weak. Nonetheless, I have a tendency to read people because I know how horrible it is not to be read, or to be misread.

I find it therapeutic whenever I read Lucy. I can safely say that I'm one of the top 10 people in the world outside her family who knows Lucy well. It is a pleasure to answer readers' and followers' questions like "was Lucy rude towards air stewardesses?" and "I heard Lucy was a bitch to work with, is that true?" and "did Lucy get over her divorce?" and "why did Lucy feel an estrangement towards her children?" and so on. Miss Ball had been misunderstood by people who have been fed by gossips. Additionally, the strong and mighty Lucy never put the misconceptions to sleep while alive. Having done an extensive amount of research, I take it upon myself to set the record straight.

If only I was this obsessed with my studies, I would have been Albert Einstein's apprentice. Ha!

I love you, Lucy!
Happy 101st birthday, and I sincerely hope that just like how Ricky and Lucy Ricardo would end a story happily, Desi Arnaz and you are holding hands in heaven and smiling down at me.

3 comments:

  1. I think that I am the biggest youngest Lucy fan in the world. I started watching I Love Lucy when I was about 10 years old. On my eleventh birthday, I had a Lucy birthday party. Right before Christmas I started to lose interest in her, but then I bought a Lucille Ball biography that made me love her a hundred times more than before! I am now almost thirteen and I still love Lucy, and always will!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's cool! I'm glad you know about Lucille Ball and love her. She is really a fabulous role model.

      Delete
  2. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE LUCY!!! I remember the first time I watched "I Love Lucy". I was about 10 years old and had just come to America. My sister and I would sit there and watch the show and laugh out loud even though we did not understand the language. But just her actions and physical comedy had us in tears. I came to appreciate her talents even more as I learned English and actually understood her comedy. She is truly one of the best! I loved the entire cast. I am so glad I stumbled upon your blog. I have read almost everything on it. You made me love her even more and I cannot wait til I read her and Desi's autobiographies. i look forward to future posts!

    ReplyDelete