Friday, May 11, 2012

Take Them!

One of the main reasons I choose Blogger instead of Tumblr as a platform to create a webpage with celebrity content is the freedom to write instead of just to post visual content. I feel that words can express many deep aspects of Lucy's life that images can't. Another main reason is I dislike the possessiveness some Tumblr owners exude. I think it's not only stupid, it's childish too. I dislike the cyber bullying involved in Tumblr and it disgusts me that strangers would just gang up and bash another Tumblr owner for "stealing their content", and it disgusts me further that these bullies are employing personal attacks. This whole "reblog" thing in Tumblr really makes people turn nasty.

First of all, just because an image appears in a webpage, it doesn't automatically make it copyrighted. A lot of legal affairs are involved if one wants to copyright something. What we can hope for is some social responsibility and decency from netizens. Like how people behave in reality, I doubt we can expect much from netizens. So, if we cannot change the external circumstances, we can surely change the way we feel, think and react.

Here's how I feel: when people right click and save the pictures from my blog (even the ones that I legitimately pay for, painstakingly scan and edit or colorize[all the images in color are colorized by Yours Truly!]) and I see them appearing on their blogs, I don't feel angry at all. In fact, I feel flattered! I'll go "hey! That's my creation!" and squeal in excitement! It's the same feeling I felt when I had my first composition published in school. When they do that, that means that first, they like my stuff from this blog and second, they love the ever fascinating great beautiful awesome perfect Lucille Ball!

If I really feel that I should be given credit to a particular image or gif I've edited till it is so unique, I'll watermark it with my blog address. If there are people who erase the watermark, there's nothing I can do, and so I should change the way I feel about such incidents.

Shouldn't fans of Lucy be happy that she has so many fans?

Shouldn't fans of Lucy be happy when images of her are saved and blogged or used? That way, it's like a viral effect, more and more people in the world will know about this wonderful woman and she'll forever be immortal!

I feel an indescribable sense of happiness that people still appreciate her. Katharine Hepburn, Judy Garland, Marilyn Monroe, Audrey Hepburn et al. were always so popular in the movies and are famous today. In my honest opinion, Lucy had been just as great (or even better) than these huge movie stars! She could add value to an inferior script, she could make the roles she was playing come alive, she could act serious, princessy, magnanimous, cute, drunk, bitchy, ANYTHING, when the rest of these so-called giant movie stars couldn't. She was such a rare gem, versatile, colorful, and the world should pay more attention to her!

When there are selfish fans who claim the "rights" to the images, gifs, videos and all, it really makes me sad. Those stuff don't belong to them either. They belong to the photographers and the studios and the archives and the television companies! So why are they claiming "rights"? To gain popularity and more followers? Do they truly adore a celebrity or do they want to be online celebrities too?

That said, I still respect their wishes. Everyone has different opinions and what is important is I agree to disagree. Most of the images here come from the books I've scanned, or from netizens who are as unselfish as I am. The main focus of this blog isn't on images or visuals, it's on words to describe this immensely complicated lady. I am seeking certain answers, and by explaining her, I do become clearer on things. I hope that readers who read what I've written will feel the same way as I do. For instance, did Desi love Lucy? I know Lucy loved Desi; all the books expound on it, but few books and few people talk about him loving her as much as she did. It's reassuring to find these answers when I explain certain events that can make me draw happy conclusions.

If I ever take so-called original images from the self-proclaimed best fans, I do not merely use their images and blog as a new post. I will always do some enhancements or colorization and make them uniquely mine. After that, I'll share it on this blog and I'll be happy when readers appreciate my creativity skills in images and content.

I really hope that the owners in Tumblr would stop bullying the poor owner. What they are doing is so inhumane and I cannot pretend ignorance/indifference. I hope that by writing this post, at least some of us will do some reflection. Let's all be a little less selfish and live in harmony. Remember the ultimate goal: to spread the word about Lucy (and other great celebrities of Old Hollywood of course!) and make more people fall for her and appreciate her!

No comments:

Post a Comment